PreSonus® StudioLive RML16AI
Customization, Connectivity, and Expandability
StudioLive RML16AI: The networkable, rack-mount, mixing and recording solution.
Versatile and flexible for live and recorded sound.
Equally at home in houses of worship, schools, broadcast facilities, live venues, touring rigs, and recording studios, the PreSonus® StudioLive® RML16AI rack-mount Active Integration™ digital mixer is a versatile and flexible solution for live sound and recording. These versatile 25-bus mixers offer 8 mic inputs, 8 combo mic/line inputs, and 16 digital inputs via FireWire, AVB, or Dante, for a total of 32 input channels, expandable up to 64. StudioLive RML16AI mixers are flawlessly integrated with state-of-the-art software and boast an integrated multitrack recording interface, advanced AVB or Dante networking, and multiple control options. Yet they’re easy to use, with a workflow that will let you focus on mixing, without being distracted by the technology.
Networking provides remote control, recording, and more.
Powerful, real-time, wired and Wi-Fi networking enables recording and remote control over all StudioLive RML16AI features. Use the included AVB networking connection or choose optional Dante networking. Control your StudioLive RML16AI wirelessly from anywhere in the venue using free Mac®, Windows®, and iOS® software. Network the RML16AI to a StudioLive AI-series front-of-house console, using the rack-mount mixer as a stage box and monitor mixer. Send and receive networked audio via optional Dante for multitrack recording. Connect to hundreds of Dante-enabled products. Once you’ve used a networked StudioLive RML16AI, you’ll never go back to the old way of mixing!!
Control the mixer with hardware and software—from anywhere.
Thanks to PreSonus Active Integration, StudioLive RML16AI mixers can be controlled in multiple ways simultaneously so you can customize your system to suit your needs and workflow. Control the mixer over a wired or wireless network using an array of integrated software for Mac, Windows, and iPad. Add physical control with PreSonus’ StudioLive CS18AI Ethernet/AVB control surface, which features high-quality, touch-sensitive, motorized faders and far more mixer-control features than we can list here—and can control Studio One, too!
Integrated, multiplatform software for flexible control and one-click recording.
PreSonus StudioLive RML-series mixers are tightly integrated with an entire suite of state-of-the-art software. Mix wirelessly or over a wired network from anywhere using UC Surface touch-control software for Mac, Windows, and iPad®. Remote control the mixer’s recallable XMAX preamps and Fat Channel processing with Studio One® Artist for low-latency recording with effects. Musicians control their monitor mixes onstage with QMix™-AI for iPhone®/iPod® touch. Completely automate virtual soundchecks and record shows at up to 96 kHz with Capture™. Tune your system to the room and watch for problems in your mix with UC Surface’s integrated Smaart® wizards, RTA, and spectrograph. Save mixer scenes with your live recordings in Capture and edit both in Studio One Artist. StudioLive RML-series mixers and software work together to form a cohesive ecosystem that helps you achieve your creative vision.
Recording is in StudioLive AI’s DNA.
The StudioLive RML16AI’s built-in 54x34 multitrack recording interface is tightly integrated with the rest of the mixer—not an afterthought we tacked on. All 32 channels and your choice of buses continuously stream to your FireWire- or Dante™-connected Mac or PC. Each of the first 16 channels can independently access its analog input or its dedicated digital return from your computer. The 16 digital input channels can receive multitrack inputs from a computer, perfect for backing tracks and effects. And with StudioLive RML mixers, recording is simple and easy: Just launch the included, preconfigured Capture™ software for one-click recording of all channel inputs and your main mix. Or record with the included Studio One Artist DAW—or any recording software that supports ASIO or Core Audio. Now you can record in the studio or at the gig with equal ease—only with StudioLive.
You’ll never run out of signal processors.
StudioLive RML mixers provide more DSP power than any other mixer in their class. There are no limitations, no shared resources, no figuring out what processing is available where. You have all of the processing available at all times, with no compromises or caveats. The unique Fat Channel provides a compressor, limiter, expander/gate, and parametric EQ on every channel and bus; a highpass filter on each channel; a library of professionally crafted, useful presets; and the ability to save, selectively recall, and A/B-compare processor settings. You also get four effects processors—two reverbs and two delays—each with their own dedicated mix bus; 15 dedicated 31-band graphic EQs; and 500 ms of delay available on the last four mix outputs.
Expandable to meet your needs.
Only StudioLive Active Integration mixers let you create a large-format console on a small-format budget. Connect two StudioLive RML16AIs or an RML32AI and an RML16AI via AVB to create up to a 64-channel mixing system. Rack-mount them together, place one on each side of the stage, or put one onstage and one at front-of-house. Record all 64 channels with free Capture™ software and have single-window control of all channels using UC Surface control software. Or enjoy up to 86x66 recording via FireWire with a DAW, such as Studio One. The Mix outputs are conveniently mirrored on both RML mixers. Now your system can grow with your needs and budget!
Connect a StudioLive RML mixer and you’ll instantly hear details and an open high end you’d expect to find only in an expensive studio console. StudioLive RML mixers operate at up to 96 kHz for high-definition mixing and recording. They use the same high-quality 64-bit summing engine found in our Studio One® DAW, which consistently receives rave reviews for sound quality. High-quality Burr-Brown converters on every input and output provide a best-in-class 118 dB of dynamic range so you’ll catch every high and low with great accuracy and no audible distortion. And our recallable XMAX™ microphone preamps deliver incredibly high headroom, deep lows, smooth highs, and a rich overall sound.
Dedicated I/O—no guesswork.
View the front of a StudioLive RML-series rack-mount mixer, and you’ll see a straightforward jackfield with 16 locking XLR channel inputs, the last 8 of which are combo XLR mic/TRS line inputs, plus 8 XLR mix outputs and other important connections. The Mix outputs on the front panel are mirrored in a DB25 connector (Mix Outs 1-8) on the rear. You never have to guess which input feeds which channel or which aux mix goes to an output because they’re always the same. It’s all part of a design that enables you to work quickly and without confusion.
Safe, sane, and secure.
Powerful networking and wireless remote control is great—but what if someone tries to hack into your Wi-Fi system and take control of the show or that jokester bass player tries to use his iPhone to mess with the lead singer’s monitor mix? There’s an app for that!
Inputs and Outputs
- 8 locking XLR mic inputs and 8 combo locking XLR mic-¼” TRS line inputs, each with:
- Recallable XMAX Class A analog mic preamps
- +48V phantom power
- Stereo tape input (RCA jacks)
- 8 XLR line-level Mix outputs
- Four 300 ms alignment delays on the last four Mix outputs
- 1 DB25 jack mirrors 8 line-level Mix outputs
- 3 XLR main outputs (left, right, mono/center) with analog trim pots
- S/PDIF digital output on removable option card
- Headphone output with volume knob and selectable source
- 1x1 MIDI I/O (for future implementation)
Channels and Buses
- 32 internal channels
- 25 mix buses
- 16 aux mix buses
- 3 main mix buses (left, right, mono/center)
- Stereo solo bus
- 4 internal FX buses (2 reverb, 2 delay)
- Fully integrated, continuously bidirectional, 52-in/34-out, FireWire 800 direct recording interface (24-bit, 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz)
UC Surface Live Mixing and Control Software
- Designed specifically for live sound mixing
- Multiplatform support for Mac ® , Windows ® , and iPad ®
- Windows 8/10 multi-touch-compatible for large touchscreen mixing
- Flexible and expandable computing options: Use a laptop with or without a touchscreen, an iPad, or any combination
- Contextual-based navigation for quick, intuitive access to all mixing functions
- 8 Mute Groups with All On and All Off
- Scene Store and Recall
- Global Scene Storage: all current StudioLive RML settings
- Up to 99 at a time
- 8 Quick Scenes for instant scene save/recall—like “speed dial” for scenes
- Automatic Global AutoStore
- Customizable naming (for example, "Saturday Gig" or "Main Worship Service")
- Individual channel-strip setting storage
- Up to 100 at a time, plus…
- 50 channel-strip presets included for drums, bass, guitars, keyboards, and vocals
- Copy and paste among channels and buses
- Can be saved as user presets
- Can be browsed by category (Drums, Vocals, Horns, Guitar, Bass, and more)
- Contextual Presets System
- Presets filtered by Channel Types
- Quickly audition presets on the fly
- Edit auditioned preset before loading
- Exit Audition mode with out loading to return to previous settings
- Save and load presets on all platforms including iOS
- Filter DCAs
- Unlimited groups
- Automatic group creation using Channel Types
- Custom groups
- Security features to monitor and restrict access to the mixer’s controls
Other Actively Integrated Software
- Capture™ one-click recording software with true virtual soundcheck (Mac/Windows)
- Studio One ® Artist full-featured digital audio workstation software (Mac/Windows)
- QMix ® -AI wireless monitor-mix control from an iPhone ® /iPod ® touch
- 2 FireWire S800 ports and 1 Ethernet control port with AVB Networking on removable option card. FireWire ports fully compatible with Apple Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapter.
- SL-Dante-Mix option card available separately
- Use AVB to cascade two RM/RML-series mixers to create a larger system (up to 64 channels) or connect the RML mixer to a StudioLive ® AI-series front-of-house console
- Dual Fat Channel signal processing on all channels and buses with:
- Variable highpass filter -6 dB/oct., sweepable from Off to 1 kHz (main channels and auxes only)
- Variable lowpass filter on the mono/center bus
- 4-band fully parametric EQ
- Low EQ: sweepable from 36 Hz to 465 Hz, ±15 dB, switchable shelf or peaking
- Low Mid EQ: sweepable from 90 Hz to 1.2 kHz, ±15 dB, variable Q 0.1 to 4.0
- High Mid EQ: sweepable from 380 Hz to 5 kHz, ±15 dB, variable Q 0.1 to 4.0
- High EQ: sweepable from 1.4 kHz to 18 kHz, ±15 dB, switchable shelf or peaking
- Master EQ On/Off
- Compressor: Threshold -56 to 0 dB; Ratio 1:1 to 14:1, LIM=∞:1; Attack 0.2 to 150 ms; Release 2.5 to 900 ms; Makeup Gain 0 to 28 dB; Soft Knee switch; Auto Mode with 10 ms Attack and 150 ms Release
- Gate with sidechain: Threshold: 0 to -84 dB; Attack: 0.02 to 500 ms; Release: 0.05 to 2 sec
- Bandpass Key Filter: 40 Hz to 16 kHz; second-order resonant bandpass filter Q (0.7) with Key Listen function
- Limiter: Variable Threshold -28 dBfs to 0, ∞:1 Ratio
- Stereo link for input channels and aux buses
- Polarity reverse (input channels only)
- Quick A/B comparisons of two complete sets of Fat Channel settings for each channel and bus
- 15 graphic EQs (for the first 12 aux buses plus the Main left, right, and mono/center buses)
- 4 32-bit floating point effects processors (2 reverb, 2 delay) on dedicated buses
- 32 LED meter grid
- Front-panel Mute All button temporarily mutes all inputs and outputs
- +48V Meters button to display phantom power assignment on the meter grid
- Headphone source selection between Main and Cue
- StudioLive CS18AI AVB control surface available separately
- High-definition Burr-Brown analog-to-digital converters (118 dB dynamic range)
- Unlimited-headroom, 32-bit floating point, digital mixing and effects processing
- Internal sample frequency 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz
- 3U rack-mount steel chassis
Computer system requirements:
Below are the minimum computer-system requirements for UC Surface.
- Mac® OS X 10.8 64-bit or later
- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor (Intel Core i3 or faster recommended)
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended)
- Windows® 7 x64/x86 SP1, Windows 8 x64/x86, Windows 10 x64/x86
- Intel Core 2 Duo processor (Intel Core i3 or faster recommended)
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended)
Mac and Windows Systems
- Wired or wireless network connection
- Internet connection
- For Capture™ and Studio One®:
- FireWire S800 (IEEE 1394b) port or Thunderbolt port with FireWire S800 adapter
- Internal or external 7200 RPM storage drive highly recommended
- Monitor with 1280x800 resolution
- iOS 7.03 or later
- iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2
The minimum system requirements may differ for DAWs other than Studio One®. Please check the requirements for your DAW of choice with its manufacturer.
Note that the speed of your processor, amount of RAM and size and speed of your hard drive will greatly affect the overall performance of your recording system. Also, a more powerful system (faster processor with more RAM) will allow for lower latency (signal delay) than you might experience while monitoring audio signals.
|Input Type||8 locking XLR Female, balanced; 8 combo locking XLR mic-¼” TRS line|
|Frequency Response to Direct Output (at unity gain)||20-40 kHz, ±0.5 dBu|
|Frequency Response to Main Output (at unity gain)||20-20 kHz, ±0.5 dBu|
|Input Impedance||1 kΩ|
|THD to Main Output (1 kHz at unity gain)||0.005%, +4 dBu, 20-20 kHz, unity gain, unwtd|
|S/N Ratio to Main Output (Ref = +4 dB, 20 kHz BW, unity gain, A-wtd)||94 dB|
|Common Mode Rejection Ratio (1 kHz at unity gain)||65 dB|
|Gain Control Range (±1 dB)||0 dB to +65 dB|
|Maximum Input Level (unity gain)||+12 dBu|
|Phantom Power (±2 VDC)||48 VDC, switchable per channel|
|Type||RCA Female, unbalanced (stereo pair)|
|Maximum Input Level||+12 dBu|
|Type||XLR Male, balanced|
|Rated Output Level||+24 dBu|
|Type||XLR Male, balanced|
|Rated Output Level||+24 dBu|
|Type||¼” TRS Female, active stereo|
|Maximum Output||100 mW/ch. @ 60Ω load|
|Frequency Response||20 Hz – 20 kHz (± 0.5 dB)|
|THD+N||0.01%, 1 kHz, max gain, 20 Hz BW, unwtd|
|S/N Ratio||96 dB, 1 kHz, max gain, 20 Hz BW, unwtd|
|Input to Output||-90 dB (Ref = +4 dBu, 1 kHz, unwtd)|
|Adjacent Channels||-87 dB (Ref = +4 dBu, 1 kHz, unwtd)|
Noise Gate / Expander
|Threshold Range||-84 dB to 0 dB|
|Attack Time||0.02s to 500 ms / 0.5 ms|
|Release Time||0.05s to 2s|
|Expander Attenuation Range||2:1 (fixed)|
|Noise Gate Attenuation Range||-84 to 0 dB|
|Key Filter||2nd-order, resonant bypass; Q=0.7|
|Key Listen||Off, 40 Hz to 16 kHz|
|Threshold Range||-56 dB to 0 dB|
|Ratio||1:1 to 14:1|
|Attack Time||0.2 ms to 150 ms|
|Release Time||40 ms to 1,000 ms|
|Auto Attack and Release||Attack = 10 ms, Release = 150 ms|
|Curve Types||hard and soft knee|
|Threshold||-56 dB to 0 dB / -28 dBFS|
|Type||2nd-order shelving filter|
|Low (Lowpass or Bandpass)||36 to 465 Hz, ±15 dB|
|Low Mid (Bandpass)||90 Hz to 1.2 kHz, ±15 dB|
|High Mid (Bandpass)||380 Hz to 5 kHz, ±15 dB|
|High (Highpass or Bandpass)||1.4 kHz to 18 kHz, ±15 dB|
|Q (sweepable for each band)||0.1 to 4 / Low Q= 0.55, Hi Q=2.0|
|31-Band 1/3-Octave Controls||Center frequencies (Hz): 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1k, 1.3k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.2k, 4k, 5k, 6.4k, 8k, 10k, 13k, 16k, 20k. Each band has a constant Q.|
|ADC Dynamic Range||118 dB (A-wtd, 48 kHz)|
|DAC Dynamic Range||118 dB (A-wtd, 48 kHz)|
|FireWire||S800, 800 Mb/s|
|S/PDIF Output||RCA Female|
|Internal Processing||32-bit, floating point|
|Sampling Rate||44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz|
|A/D/A Bit Depth||24|
|Reference Level for 0 dBFS||+18 dBu|
|Jitter||<20 ps RMS (20 Hz - 20 kHz)|
|Jitter Attenuation||>60 dB (1 ns in, 1 ps out)|
|Input-Voltage Range||90 to 240 VAC|
|Power Requirements (continuous)||200W|
|Recommended Ambient Operating Temperature||0° to 40° Celsius / 32° to 104° Fahrenheit|
|Height||5.25” (13.34 cm)|
|Width||19” (48.26 cm)|
|Depth||10.5” (26.67 cm)|
|Weight||19 lbs. (8.62 kg)|
*Estimated monthly payment; individual circumstances will determine exact monthly payment.
WARNING: Cancer & Reproductive Health Warning Information